Race Report – Dirty Kanza 2018

Two hundred miles of rolling hills, 91°F (33°C) of sun beating down on your back and a finishing time of 11:39:18 is a long day in the saddle.

Our new Pinnacle wheels were put to the ultimate test at one of the most prestigious gravel race events in the US. Dirty Kanza 200. Here is Dylan’s recap of the race.

As an ultra endurance racer the idea of longer miles, more suffering, and new challenges is an exciting proposition. Enter the Dirty Kanza 200. The race consists of over 200 miles of gravel starting and ending in Emporia, Kansas. Racers have to battle rolling hills, sticky mud, 20 mph winds, and high temperatures. My specialty is 100 mile mountain bike races so the format of DK was a bit different than I’m used to, but I was eager give it a go.

The morning of the race thunderstorms delayed the start by 30 minutes. That early rain soon dissipated and left us riding through sticky mud for much of the first 50 miles. Riding in a large group only made it worse. Mud was constantly being flung into drafting riders and after the first 30 minutes every racer and their bike was coated in a spray of Kansas clay.

The first aid station was hectic with a large group, but it didn’t take long for the group to whittle down to under ten riders. With 90 miles to go Josh Berry and Ted King made an attack. I was left with the decision of playing it safe and staying back with the chase group or going with them for a chance at a top three. I chose the latter. In hindsight this was my mistake of the race, but I’m glad I gave it a shot. Sometimes in bike racing you have to take chances. I rode with them for about 20 minutes hoping they would settle down the pace. After a few minutes, it was clear that I was in over my head and I dropped off their group. I was quickly caught by the next chase group of four. I tried to work with them, but was so gassed from the effort I’d just made that I soon found them slipping away as well.

Eventually I settled in just as Craig Ritchey caught me. The two of us were able to work together for the second half of the race until mile 180 when a bonk started to set in. I knew it was coming too. I’d fallen behind on my nutrition after my fight with the front group. In a delirious state, hardly turning the pedals over I looked ahead at the gravel road and noticed something in the distance; a farmer with two coolers by his feet. “You look like you need some food and water” he said holding out a pb&j. I don’t think truer words have ever been said. I must have spent ten minutes their sitting in the shade trying to force food down. I don’t know who that man was but I have him to thank for getting me to the finish line. It surely would have been the longest 20 miles of life had he not been there.

As much as I may of wanted to hang out with the PB&J farmer, I couldn’t wait there long. A group of 4 had caught me and now my top ten finish was in jeopardy. I worked with the group and found myself feeling better as we got closer to the finish. With two miles to go I attacked the group and only Jamey Driscoll was able to follow. The two of us prepared ourselves for a sprint finish. Rolling into town I found myself in second wheel, the perfect position for a sprint. With the finish in sight I was able to come around Jamey to take 9th place with a race time of 11:39:18.


Dylan at the finish line of Dirty Kanza. Photo provided by Gravel Guru.

Every new race is a learning experience and DK was an advanced course. I learned a lot about the gravel racing format, but I also had some realizations about how hard I can push myself in the late stages of an endurance race. It’s clear that this race is about digging deep within yourself to keep making forward progress when the going gets rough, and believe me there are going to be rough parts. Mechanicals, bonks, cramps, and both mental and physical fatigue were all the name of the game out there.

One thing that didn’t give me any issues all day was my equipment.

I ran a Niner RLT9 RDO with the new Boyd Pinnacle gravel wheels and Schwalbe G-One all around tires with Boyd’s Tickled Pink Tubeless sealant. Flat tires plagued the field in the first 50 miles but I was able to keep air in my tires the whole race. The wide 23.4 inner diameter Pinnacle rims made the 38mm G-One tires even wider and more sure footed when things got rough and chunky. Running 36mm deep rim was also a huge advantage at Kanza because of long sections spent solo battling the wind.



The atmosphere at the finish of DK feels like a giant block party with food and beer vendors lining downtown Emporia and racers, support crews and fans taking up every inch of the street. It’s not just a race, but a celebration of endurance gravel riding. The event is as much about the three a.m. finisher as it is the winner. Congratulations to everyone who competed in and completed the 200 miles this year. I hope I can join you again for another brutally long day on the bike.

– Dylan Johnson

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

You may also like

View all
Example blog post
Example blog post
Example blog post