How to clean & service your hubsAndrew
With all the rain lately, we thought it would be good to show you how to clean, service and lubricate your Quest disc or 85 Road rim brake hub. Here is our step-by-step guide on how to keep your hubs nice and clean. Ideally, this service should occur twice a year, or more often if you’re riding through lots of rain and/or muddy conditions.
- at least one dirty wheel (the fun part)
- pair of rubber gloves
- One or two microfiber towels
- Rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol in a spray bottle
- NixFrixShun Speed Coat lube, used to regrease the hub pawls
- Pull the freehub body and axle assembly away from the wheel to gain access to pawls and engagement teeth.
- Spray a towel with alcohol and wipe out the engagement teeth of the hub and freehub body.
- If the rubber gasket in the hub shell comes loose, press it back in the hub.
- Apply a bead of NixFrixShun Speedcoat lube to the engagement teeth. The freehub body will spread the lube around for you when coasting.
- Install the axle assembly back into the hub shell, by pressing it into place and pop your endcap back on.
- Clean the wheel with some rubbing alcohol on the towel and wipe the wheel down.
- Be sure to use a clean towel when wiping off the disc brake rotor.
- Once everything is clean, get out and ride!
Is there a video you’d like to see us make in the future? Leave a comment below with your suggestions.
p.s. here’s an exploded view of the Quest disc hub assembly. 85 Road rim brake is very similar.
85 Road and Quest Freehub BodyOrder a replacement freehub body, or keep an extra one on hand so that you can swap between different cassette sizes or between Shimano, Campagnolo or XD drivers without any tools.$65.00
NixFrixShun SpeedcoatProtect and prolong the life of your hubs while minimizing friction.In order to ensure the pawls and driver rings are maintained to our strict performance standards, we have teamed up with the high tech industrial lubricant experts at the NixFrixShun (NFS) Speed Shop to develop the perfect grease. Mainly known for chain lube (pretty much the best chain lube you can buy), NFS helped to develop a pawl grease to match the quality of the hub.$9.00