Boyd carbon clincher rim brake wheels come with a set of our Onyx Brake pads. These brake pads were designed in conjunction with our carbon rims and so they are the brake pads we recommend the most. We like people to use them so we make them pretty affordable as well at only $25 for a set of 4 pads.
However, we know there are situations where you need carbon brake pads right away and cannot wait until a set of the Onyx pads ship to you. Don’t worry, we are procrastinators too! If you need to use other brake pads on Boyd carbon rims you should be able to use any of the following.
- Boyd Cycling Onyx brake pads
- Swissstop Black Prince (our favorite substitute!)
- Zipp Tangente Platinum
- Enve Brake Pads (standard, not for their textured)
- Shimano Carbon Brake Pads
- Kool Stop Carbon (although these will wear out very fast)
- Reynolds Cryo Blue (although these will wear out very fast)
The following brake pads are prohibited on our carbon rims
- Swissstop Yellow King – This can have very high heat levels and leave a lot of yellow residue all over the textured brake track
- Any cork brake pad – Our rims are designed for a synthetic rubber material, not a cork pad
- Any generic, no-name brake pad. We have found with testing that this can leave behind rim damaging residue under prolonged braking.